Home Live Radio Podcast Live TV Vodcast Forum Files Login Register :     Contact : 

Forum index Forum: Penbex Radio device analysis Topic: BBC Stations switch to HTTP Live - HELP!!! Last replied to: March 1, 2015, 9:21 am Back to post view
AuthorPostOptions
Posted by Kirk Message # 1     Posted at February 11, 2015, 10:26 am,     subject: BBC Stations switch to HTTP Live - HELP!!!  
Registration date: February 11, 2015

Hello,

I am new to the forum so hi to everyone.  I have joined because I have lost all of my BBC stations on my Cobra CIR2000.  Apparently, they are no longer providing Windows Media Audio Streams.  Instead they are switching over to HTTP Live Streaming and Advanced Audio Coding.  Needless to say my Cobra no longer picks up any BBC stations.  Does anyone know if there is patch or some sort of upgrade that will enable me to reconnect to the BBC stations?

yours hopefully
Kirk

Posted by penbex Message # 2     Posted at February 11, 2015, 11:00 am,     subject: BBC Stations switch to HTTP Live - HELP!!!  
Registration date: May 21, 2009

Well, one thing is for sure.. the Cobra (and other Penbex based devices) will not be able to do AAC streams.
The manufacturer has been asked in the past (by the companies selling the products) about AAC support and they could not add it as the hardware would be too slow.

Posted by Kirk Message # 3     Posted at February 11, 2015, 1:05 pm,     subject: BBC Stations switch to HTTP Live - HELP!!!  

Thank you for confirming my suspicions on the Cobra.

I am going to invest in a new set.  Any opinions on the best mid size internet radios available? 

I am drawn to the following sets:
Monitor Audio Airstream 10
Revo Axis X3
Revo Superconnect
Roberts Stream 63i (I would go for the 64i but a touch too expensive).

Any opinions or knowledge of bugs with any these would be gratefully received.

regards
Kirk

Posted by paulwebster Message # 4     Posted at February 11, 2015, 1:24 pm,     subject: BBC Stations switch to HTTP Live - HELP!!!  
Registration date: October 8, 2009

BBC has added Shoutcast-style MP3 streams for live streaming.- so that should work fine.
Should simply need a database update if not yet done.

Posted by Kirk Message # 5     Posted at February 11, 2015, 2:22 pm,     subject: BBC Stations switch to HTTP Live - HELP!!!  

Thank you for your response.  You fill me with hope that I may not have to bin the Cobra.

Pardon my ignorance but how do I go about updating the database?

thanks
Kirk

Posted by paulwebster Message # 6     Posted at February 12, 2015, 10:28 pm,     subject: BBC Stations switch to HTTP Live - HELP!!!  
Registration date: October 8, 2009

Try this on your radio as a stream link for BBC Radio 4 FM
http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/5/select/version/xxx/mediaset/http-icy-mp3-a/vpid/bbc_radio_fourfm/format/pls.pls
If it works then it could be the basis for a set of updates of the BBC station list.
I suspect that where I have put XXX has different values depending on which station list BBC has provided the link to ... so that they can track the source.

(Last Edited by paulwebster on February 12, 2015, 10:50 pm)

Posted by henkvalerie Message # 7     Posted at February 19, 2015, 4:34 pm,     subject: BBC Stations switch to HTTP Live - HELP!!!  
Registration date: June 17, 2012

Hello,

I experience the same problems with our Envivo PO1119 listening to BBC 1 BBC 2etc (national radio) . While listening to the regional BBC stations (local radio) we do not experience any problems at the moment.

Also we have a problem with the regional radiostation Omroepgelderlander.nl/radiogelderland they advise to download tunein which already is available on the Envivo PO1119. Does someone have a advise how to solve this problem.

We only have these problems on this device, not on our other radio a Technisat DigitRadio 500 

Henk 

Posted by Bobbins Message # 8     Posted at February 24, 2015, 12:14 pm,     subject: BBC Stations switch to HTTP Live - HELP!!!  
Registration date: March 11, 2014

Not sure what you reply means. Modified firmware has rendered Shoutcast non-functioning and I have no way of entering in that link into the Cobra.

Posted by penbex Message # 9     Posted at February 26, 2015, 4:16 pm,     subject: BBC Stations switch to HTTP Live - HELP!!!  

The Envivo can handle most streams types around. So it does not have any issues there.
Getting BBC working just requires selecting the right entry..If it stops working, the database can be updated.

Quote:
Not sure what you reply means. Modified firmware has rendered Shoutcast non-functioning and I have no way of entering in that link into the Cobra.

Not true.
The Original firmware simply stopped working with Shoutcast. Probably the account was deleted as Penbex, the manufacturer, went bankrupt.
To get BBC, you can use the database and select the correct entries. However, the main issue is that BBC moved to stream types that the Penbex machine can not handle.
So to fix this, special entries with older stream types have to be created.

Posted by davestephens1 Message # 10     Posted at February 27, 2015, 10:43 pm,     subject: BBC Stations switch to HTTP Live - HELP!!!  
Registration date: February 27, 2015

I have the same problem with a CIR2000 but I don't understand what you are suggesting.

If I go to i-radio and select SHOUTcast it doesn't work at all ... I can list radio stations under the WorldRadio option and I can select radio stations from this listing but again BBC now doesn't work.

How can I add the url as you suggested to my radio?

Posted by penbex Message # 11     Posted at March 1, 2015, 7:56 am,     subject: BBC Stations switch to HTTP Live - HELP!!!  

I have updated BBC 1-6 with streams that should work on all devices.
U can recognize them by the "(New)" marking.

Posted by penbex Message # 12     Posted at March 1, 2015, 9:21 am,     subject: BBC Stations switch to HTTP Live - HELP!!!  

Quote:
If I go to i-radio and select SHOUTcast it doesn't work at all ... I can list radio stations under the WorldRadio option and I can select radio stations from this listing but again BBC now doesn't work.

OK, Shoutcast is not working and it will not be fixed either.
If you use the Original firmware your device is not able to find any streams.
If you use our patched firmware, your radio will work with our database.
We interface with the WorldStation option and provide our database as an alternative via that option.
So, to get any new stations or fix ones that are broken, you need to do that on this website..
After changes, give it some time to get accepted by the database and to be noticed by your radio.. (the radio is caching for some time)
Then it will pick up the changes and you are able to use them.
You can also setup favorites on our website and link that to your radio.