Home Live Radio Podcast Live TV Vodcast Forum Files Login Register :     Contact : 

Forum index Forum: ListenLive Firmware development Topic: Source code Last replied to: June 19, 2015, 8:55 pm Back to post view
AuthorPostOptions
Posted by Fafadu40 Message # 1     Posted at June 17, 2015, 9:46 pm,     subject: Source code  
Registration date: January 25, 2014

Hello everyone! 

I'm searching for the source code that Penbex hosted on their servers (a long time ago). 
I founded it the linuxdoctor website but Rapidshare is closed know (a week before my first search...) 

If anybody could send it to me, it would be perfect

Posted by penbex Message # 2     Posted at June 18, 2015, 5:44 am,     subject: Source code  
Registration date: May 21, 2009

It is pretty much useless because the main app is closed source and the device holds many Penbex chips for which we do not have datasheets.

Posted by Fafadu40 Message # 3     Posted at June 18, 2015, 11:36 am,     subject: Source code  

I understand that. But tell me so how you can release new firmware ??

And even if you feel it's useless, I would like to get those files please.

Best regards.

\Fabien

Posted by penbex Message # 4     Posted at June 18, 2015, 1:24 pm,     subject: Source code  

The new firmwares are rather "hacked" firmwares. As the changes are inside the parts that we can not simply recompile.
Long ago, back when linuxdoctor was also looking at the topic, I was thinking about reverse engineering everything so that we could make our own firmwares.

However, the effort is not worth the value of the devices. It is way easier to get a Raspberry Pi, a little touch screen and compile the listenlive firmware for that.

Posted by Fafadu40 Message # 5     Posted at June 18, 2015, 8:39 pm,     subject: Source code  

Do you think that using UART, we would be able to extract the software inside the box and (we certainly can't decompile those files) as we know it's using µClinux and stuff like that (i've got a list), we could create a brand new program !

I know, you think it's hard because we don't have a map of the system, but I'm pretty sure we can give it a try.

\Fabien

Also, please , send me the files that were hosted on the Penbex's servers. Thanks!!

Posted by Fafadu40 Message # 6     Posted at June 18, 2015, 9:26 pm,     subject: Source code  

Can you tell me more about the "hack" for the firmware?? 
Also,  please send me those files!! 

Posted by Fafadu40 Message # 7     Posted at June 19, 2015, 5:31 am,     subject: Source code  

Tell me how do you have the firmware?? 
Can't we get it from the UART port? 

I've read the whole linuxdoctor's blog (as yours ) and I saw that he has some new code/apps for the box. 

Thanks for helping. 
\Fabien

PS : I really would like you to send those files to everyone, as their are open-source under GPL license you should share the source with your firmware. Please

Posted by penbex Message # 8     Posted at June 19, 2015, 10:19 am,     subject: Source code  

I will require an (old) existing firmware update to work on. I am not using any source code files.
The reason is VERY simple.. the parts that require changes and/or updates are located inside the main application which was never open source and also not released under GPL.
If there is no firmware update file available, I can not make any updates.

To obtain firmware, you can dump the flash chips on the main board. You will need tools to desolder and read the chips.
As for UART and reading firmware from the radio: No idea.
There is a connector on some versions of the mainboard. This might be an UART, but it could also be a JTAG port which could even be protected.
If it is a UART, it could contain a console but could also be unused. Try it and let us know what it is.

Note that a firmware dump is not the same as a firmware update file.

Penbex once (6 years ago) had a GPL source code archive on their website. This was a file that contained generic Linux source code.
The GPL code was fairly generic and not for each and every model that Penbex created.
I had links to the GPL file on my wordpress blog but these are all down now.

Besides the common Linux parts, the GPL archive contained an executable that had to be included during compilation. This executable was the main penbex closed source application.
The main issue is that the device has a number of "Penbex" branded chips for which there are no datasheets available.
At my blog you can see the main PCB that has mainly regular chips. There is another print that connects all the hardware, controls the FM radio, CD Player, LCD panel, button control etc. these are all Penbex chips.
So assuming you would make a firmware based on the GPL file but replacing the Penbex executable then you do not have any way to control the other parts of the system.
Linuxdoctor did the experiments and was able to write an image to the display and catch button presses. Following that you would loose the FM and CD functionality.
Also note that it took Linuxdoctor 3 months of testing including bricking his device etc. and he was not even close to making a working firmware.
I am pretty sure he gave up as it was a useless effort. 

One way to build a new firmware from scratch would be to study the executable, figure out all the special registers that need to be controlled in all possible states etc..
However, such a task would cost many months if not years of work to be completed.
Besides that, the Penbex hardware is old, it is too slow to do AAC/AAC+ while more and more stations go AAC only. 
The problem is that you can not economically justify working on this firmware for 6 to 12 months.
It would be far cheaper/faster/better to buy a Pi, a touch screen, make a little case for it and use it for internet radio (and TV even).

I am not sure if I still have a copy of the GPL file, perhaps on an old harddrive that is not inside my computer anymore.
I have no use for the GPL code, I did not try to compile it either.
I have no desire/plans to search for this file I would need to find a puter with the right interface or purchase the correct interface etc. 
If you really want to work on the GPL code, ask Linuxdoctor..

A final note: I have no relation to Penbex. They have never answered any of my mails. Penbex went out of business late 2010 or early 2011.
I simply kept these devices working so that people did not have to throw them away.  

William

Posted by Fafadu40 Message # 9     Posted at June 19, 2015, 2:31 pm,     subject: Source code  

I tried to contact linuxdoctor, but there isn't any mail adress or stuff like that on his blog..

Posted by penbex Message # 10     Posted at June 19, 2015, 8:55 pm,     subject: Source code  

You can leave a comment on his blog..